Education 1901

Stowupland had its own school by 1901. The land was given to the community by Mr Charles Freeman Esq. The first headmaster was a Mr. William Prentice. School was very different from today. Morning lessons ran from 9 to 12. Children went home for a meal and then returned for afternoon classes from 2 to 5. The teachers were very strict and children were often taught by reading and copying things down, or chanting lists and phrases until they were perfect.

Stowupland School 1907.
Stowupland School 1907.
Courtesy of Freeman’s Primary School
Schooling for all children under 10 was compulsory by 1880 although those in rural areas such as Stowupland would often miss school during the harvest to help their families on the land. The majority of children would grow up to have the same social class and occupations as their parents. Punishments in school continued to be severe and still included the cane, backboard and finger stocks. Younger children used trays full of sand or slates to write on, moving on to dip pens and paper when they grew older. The dip pens needed to be dipped in ink quite often and could leave ink blots all over the page.


This exhibition is part of a wider sustainability project delivered through the Rural Museums East Partnership. It is funded by Renaissance East of England.

Site designed and built by Ugly Studios